What is Geocaching?
“Geocaching (pronounced geo-cashing) is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasures. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache’s existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS device can then try to locate the geocache.” Geocaching.com
- You’ll need a Global Positioning System (GPS) device: a handheld GPS, your car GPS (set in ‘Walking Mode’) or a smart phone. (For smart phones, a variety of applications are available for GPS coordinates.)
- Log on to www. Geocaching.com and create your free account.
- Use the given coordinates to find the area of the hidden cache.
- Once found, a cache will contain a log book, write down your account name and the date you found the cache.
- If there is an object in the cache, and you take it, you must replace it with something of equal or greater value.
- Place the cache back exactly as you found it.
- Report your findings online.
Calhoun County Course:
Welcome to Calhoun County! The Cache Calhoun GeoTour will take you to explore and discover all that Calhoun County has to offer while learning a little history along the way. The Cache Calhoun GeoTour is an Official GeoTour and can be found online at: www.Geocaching.com/adventures/geotours/cachecalhoun
Ten caches are placed throughout Calhoun County and are waiting for you to find them! Each cache, a little different from the other and holds a clue to finding the final cache! Each cache contains its own number. Save the numbers as each will give you the coordinates to the final cache.